As we are exploring different materials and their properties, we decided to investigate how different materials would react to water.

Each team chose four different samples of material, ranging from tissue paper, to fabric, to plastic, to paper bags, and many more.

We had to attach each sample to a plastic cup with a rubber band. We then dropped 20 drops of water onto each material sample with an eye dropper, to see if the water would leak, soak or repel. And, of course we made predictions first!

There were lots of surprises in this lesson, and we learnt about the different materials, their uses and their properties.

7 thoughts on “Leak, soak or repel?

1. Dear Jackson,
    Did the water go through your material. It didn’t go through mine.

From Rhys

2. Dear Miss Lavars,
    that was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fun i want to do that again! I loved it!
    From Abby!

3. dear Rhys i liked yours because the servet just went light blue

from Sophie

4. Hi Grade 4/5.
    Can you tell me whether you think water would leak, soak or repel from grease proof paper that your mum might put in a cake tin to stop the cake sticking to the bottom. I will bring some in so you can conduct a test, and I will see what other items I can find around my home.
    Have a great day, Mrs H.

5. Dear Miss Lavars,
    the experiment we did was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fun!!!:p
    From Tilly