Internet safety is of utmost importance when blogging. Through blogging, you can learn how to be cyber safe in an authentic  setting with a real audience. This means when you are blogging at school you can be cyber safe in a supervised setting. When you press PUBLISH, what you have written is instantly visible all around the world.  Posting on the internet is leaving your virtual footprint, and it can always be traced back to it’s owner! Make sure you think carefully about what you write in blogs and in comments and always follow these rules.

BE SAFE:

• Do not use your last name.
  • Don’t be specific when writing about yourself. eg. Say: “I play basketball with a local team” rather than “I play for the Wendouree Tigers”.
  • Never give anyone your address, email address or phone number.
  • Do not post photos of others without their permission.

BE RESPECTFUL

• Don’t say anything that might be offensive to someone else.
  • Be considerate of others. When commenting, show others that you have read what they have written rather than just saying “great job”.
  • Be open to other people’s opinions, but be prepared to discuss your own position if you don’t agree.

BE LITERATE

• You know about good grammar, spelling and punctuation. Apply those skills when blogging. ALWAYS proof read.
  • You are sharing your thoughts with the world. Present yourself in the best possible light.

AND REMEMBER TO HAVE FUN!

13 thoughts on “Blogging Guidelines

1. to every one that comes on to our clarss blog we thank you for doing that but mack sure it’s nice.
    From Ethan

2. The hole would is alowd to go on the grade 5 not gust the poeple whow the school eveyone can come on

3. That’s right Ethan – we have to remember how to be cyber safe! It is very important!
    From Miss Lavars.

4. good job on the bloge ceep it up from ethan grade 5

5. To Miss Lavars and 4/5 and Michael it’s Shaianne and don’t you think the mind craft
    thing was cool?

From Shaianne!

6. Hey there,
    I was referred to this site via Edublogs to looks at examples of guidelines for posting.
    I appreciate the clarity and simplicity of the guidelines and the emphasis on safety and respect as a shared responsibility.
    Thanks so much.
    Have a great school year.
    Nansi

7. Thank you so much for these guidelines! I love how clear and simple they are – and so important!

8. Hi,
    It’s Kath just wondering how is everyone and how are the grade 6 going i miss you all and good luck for the years to came and never give up tring. I hope your conert goes well because my is on the thursday th 17th i’m looking forward to it talk soon good luck all and hi all thr girls and boys.

From Kath.
    P.S say hi to my buddy plese and all the other buddys.

9. Hello Ms Lavars’ Class!
    We are a grade 4/5 class from Canada.
    Your tips were very interesting! We bet they helped a lot of people. We are just starting to learn about blogging and we had talked about some of the same guidelines that you wrote! What a coincidence!
    Sincerely,
    Mrs Persson’s Canucks

10. Hello Ms Lavars’ Class,
    Those were good tips on cyber safety and blogging. We think you did a great job saying what not to do for a blog. This will help us because we are new to blogging. It was good advice to tell us not to give our location or be so specific. The most valuable thing in here was when you said to not give any personal information.
    Thank you for giving us information about blogging.
    Ms Gilliland’s class

11. Thank you so much for your lovely comments. Good luck for your blogging adventure!